Saturday, January 27, 2007

Gettin' in the groove

Twenty days have passed since my last post. Being a working mom is tough and by the end of the day blogging is the last thing on my mind. I really don't have that much to report. School is going fine and Lilli seems to like daycare. I can't really complain about anything right now.

Lilli is receiving speech therapy and developmental therapy once a week. These seem to be going well. She doesn't say many words with consistency, but she can sign complete sentences. Her signing vocabulary is fairly large and the signs make communicating easier. I know she still gets very frustrated at times and I do as well. Sometimes when she gets frustrated she throws a humdinger of a fit. She throws them often enough that we rate them like a tornado. An F5 is the strongest and an F1 would be mild. We haven't had many F1's. Last Wednesday she had an F5. It lasted for three hours. She screamed for so long and so loudly that I put some tissue in my ears to save my hearing. Nothing soothes her during these times and we don't usually know what, exactly, set her off. The F5 last Wednesday bothered us so much that we thought she might be hurt and need to go to the ER. It just wasn't normal.

My mom thinks Lilli may have mild attachment disorder. There are times when I think that may be a possibility. We are in the process of securing an Occupational Therapist to help us with sensory issues so Lilli can calm herself during a fit. You would have to see a fit to believe the severity of it. Lilli was in the midst of one of her fits (an F4) when the speech therapist came this week. The therapist was in complete shock and said she would have never thought that a fit could be so bad. I was glad that someone on the "outside" was able to witness one. I needed someone to take me seriously.

We are making plans for Chinese New Year and for Lilli's second birthday which is March 17 -- a St. Patrick's Day baby! I've got grand plans for that celebration and of course it involves green. By the time Lilli is 10 or 11 she will be begging me to not use green decorations at her birthday party.

No comments: