Monday, July 17, 2006

The dragon sleeps!

We had a successful first night. She fought sleep for a little bit but when she threw the stacking cups at Todd, we knew she was done. I rocked her to sleep which only took about 30 seconds. I laid her in the crib and she never stirred. She did cry out in the middle of the night, however. To have been a fly on the wall as Todd and I jumped out of bed and scrambled to get to her crib! I'm sure it was a sight. She never woke up when she cried so I didn't pick her up. I did massage her belly and she pushed my hand away. She cried out several more times during the night but I tuned in to the fact that this was probably normal for her or that she was grieving. My mom called and she said that all babies cry out in the night. That was a relief but I see why the experts say that you shouldn't allow your baby to sleep in your room. It was hard falling back to sleep after she would cry because I wasn't convinced/didn't know if she was OK.

According to her schedule given to us by the orphanage, she is supposed to rise at 6:00 A.M. I've been joking with the other parents because they all have late sleepers and early bed times. Lilli was the only one who supposedly gets up at 6:00 A.M. My mom says not to wake her so I'm going to let her sleep. So now it is 7:30 and she is still snoozing. We have an appointment at 10:00 with the orphanage to finalize the adoption. We still have to go down to breakfast, too. I can't wait to see what she likes to eat for breakfast. I'm going to try giving her congee which is a very popular baby food in China. I think it is just a rice cereal that is sweetened.

Well, I will continue to update as time allows. The little dragon is going to dictate the rest of my day!

Thanks to everyone who is responding to the blog and leaving comments. Unfortunately I can't access my blog from here or post pictures but I appreciate all of the helpful hints from everyone! My sil, Brinda, is relaying the parental advice to us from your comments! What a blessing!

No comments: