Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The East Lake

We went to the East Lake this morning. The temp at 9:00 A.M. was 103 F. We mostly stayed on the bus but we walked around a little bit. It is a really beautiful place with the most beautiful lotus flowers. We got to sample some of the seeds. They taste like a mild watermelon. Very bland but with a hint of sweetness. I was trying to figure out how I could smuggle one of the lotus plants back for the ponds. I think I would get into trouble with customs!

Lilli fell asleep on the bus and is currently napping. We got some extra cute footage of her sharing Cheerios with another little girl. I wish we could get some of that footage on the blog. Maybe when we get to Guanzhou we will have a better connection. Speaking of Guangzhou, we leave tomorrow afternoon for the last leg of journey. In the morning we have a ceremony where we get Lilli's passport. I'm kind of sad because this is Lilli's home city and she will not return here for a very long time, if ever. I've tried to take as many photos as possible so I can share them with her. It is important to me that she knows about where she came from.

Todd and Lilli are making some progress. He was able to get her out of the crib this morning and even to feed her a little bit. We are having one toxic diaper a day so I think everything with her is normal. We are keeping a close watch on her eye, however, as it seems she has a lot of gunk in it. Her bottom lid curls back so much that we think the lashes are laying against her eyeball and irritating her eyes. We are keeping watch on it and we were told to keep hot compresses on it. I haven't tried that yet but I'm sure it will be a challenge.

Melissa, if you are reading this I should let you know that today Lilli threw an entire container of Cheerios from her stroller. She didn't want them anymore and nobody would take it for her so she threw them. I can't wait to see her and Emily together!

Well, I have a bit of a headache from the heat. The food is starting to get people down and there have been several people in our group getting sick. I'm going to lay down for awhile and try to get some rest. We are going out to eat as a group again tonight. Michael--still no Pon-Pon chicken!

1 comment:

Karrie said...

Hello from Clarksville.
I am no expert, but after reading hundreds of travels, the babies often leave that hatred of the hotel room behind when they go on to Guangzhou. Hopefully Lilli will follow suit. I can't wait to see pictures of your little dragon!! Wishing you sweet memories and peaceful plane rides.
Karrie Davis